Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Dog Hearts Treats

I have been trying to get Cricket to go potty outside in his new backyard. I don't know what his problem is, the wet soggy ground, moles, snakes, beetles and centipedes of Ikego Hills - its a cornucopia of puppy-sniffing fun! But he has never consistently gone outside. He came to us as a tiny new rescue pup, perfectly comfortable laying in his own potty but trained to use paper if convenient. Now he will use paper consistently but I'm trying to get him to go outside. Yesterday I baked these treats which seem to be a great reward for him!
He gets tiny heart shapes and the neighbor's dog got bigger bone shaped treats. It is an old recipe I used to make for the Second Chance Animal Rescue dogs. Here it is:

1/2 cup shredded cheddar, or can use two tiny jars of meat baby food
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup dry milk
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

Roll out the dough and cut into shapes. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Best to let them sit in the warm oven for several hours after, to make them dry and crispy. They don't have preservatives, so I keep some on the counter and freeze some. Frankie has eaten some thinking they were cookies and actually thought they were good!

No comments: